How to Make Cold Brew Coffee For Your Shop
Cold Brew Coffee Recipe
Cold Brew Using the Toddy Filter System
The Toddy Commercial Cold Brewer is designed to brew 5 lbs of coffee at a time and yield 2.5 gal (320 fl oz) of extract. Our Cold Brew Starter Kit includes a 22-qt brewing container with lid, one re-usable strainer and 50 single-use commercial filters. Additional filters are available in packs of 50.
IMPORTANT: For food safety reasons, it is critical to refrigerate the brewing container during extraction. Be sure to account for the refrigeration space needed.
- Insert one commercial filter into the strainer. Put strainer and filter into brewing container with the open end facing up.
- Put 5 lbs of coarsely ground coffee into the filter.
- Pour approximately 7 quarts of cool water into the open filter, making sure to saturate all the coffee grounds.
- Tie the filter bag closed with the attached string. The string should be tied approximately 3 inches from the top of the filter bag. Leave plenty of room for the coffee to move around. (Tying the bag too tight will result in dry pockets in the grounds and the coffee concentrate will be very weak.)
- Add 7 more quarts of cool water to the brewing container.
- Optional: Gently massage the grounds (through the strainer) to assure saturation.
- Cover with lid, refrigerate (below 40 degrees), and let brew for 16-20 hours.
- Drain extract into suitable storage container, and refrigerate. Yield should be approximately 10 quarts (2.5 gallons). If grounds block spigot, gently move grounds from in front of spigot.
- Lift grounds and filter from brewing container, using strainer.
- Dispose of filter and grounds (caution - filter is fragile when wet and subject to tearing).
Proper cleaning of your cold brew equipment is essential for safety.
- Rinse strainer with hot water and air dry. Note: strainer is re-usable; paper filter bag is single use.
- Wash and/or sterilize storage/brewing container with appropriate cleaning agent, according to ServSafe guidelines.
When serving the concentrate, we recommend a 1:1 ratio of concentrate to water. For example, if you have 10 quarts of concentrate after brewing, add 10 quarts of cold water before serving. However, it’s best to add water slowly, and dilute to preferred strength and taste.